Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sports Illustrated Photo Shoot


In the current issue of Sports Illustrated (Mar 22, 2010)  I have a photograph that illustrates a good point. When I finish a portrait shoot, I usually ask the subject if there is anything else they'd like to do as well as when I finish an audio interview I ask the subject if there is anything else they want to say. More times than not, something good comes of it.

My assignment was to go to Utah and make a portrait of Arnie Ferrin, 84, and Wat Misaka, 80. They are two original University of Utah players from the 1944 team that won the NCAA championship, a team known as the unlikeliest champions, a true Cinderella team.
As the early evening light was fading I had shot about every configuration I could come up with so I asked them if they had anything they wanted to do. Arnie, without missing a beat said in jest, Wat has always needed a little help so let's give him a ladder.
Turned out to be my favorite picture of the day and it is also the one my editors at SI chose to publish.